Can I insure a car not in my name?

Can I insure a car not in my name? Most auto insurance policies cover a vehicle owned by the holder of the policy. There are times, however, when you may take custody of a car that is not registered to you, but of course, still, need insurance.

Can I insure a car not in my name?

In some instances, yes, you can ensure a car that is not owned. If someone borrows someone’s car, rents a car, or uses a work vehicle, then he /she may be able to get insurance coverage through non-owner insurance however, keep in mind that this is liability-only coverage that won’t cover the damages to the car that is being driven. You can get car insurance for a car you do not own in certain cases, though many states and auto insurance companies are not willing to do so. The main issue comes down to ‘insurable interest’ in the vehicle. You can use the non-owner auto liability insurance as secondary coverage if you drive someone else’s vehicle and get into an accident. The easiest way to ensure a car that’s not in their name, you can add the owner of the vehicle to the insurance policy as an additional interest. When you do this, the premiums will not increase as it merely states someone else’s insurable interest. The auto insurance policy of the car owner will serve as the primary coverage. The easiest alternative would be to see if you can be added to the registration of the vehicle, or have the registration transferred over to you. In most cases, two or more names can be on the title of a car. Once you have a name on the title, you can take out an insurance policy on the vehicle even if you live at a separate address as the other title holder. Can I insure a car not in my name? Nonowner car insurance may not be the answer for everyone, but if you rent cars rather than have a car in custody, a nonowner plan can be what you are looking for. A nonowner policy will provide you with the proper amount of liability insurance to be able to drive around comfortably.

In certain states, registration and car insurance go hand in hand. States like New York require you to have insurance to register a vehicle in the state. If the car you are supposed to inherit is registered in someone else’s name, that means there should already be an auto insurance policy on that car in the owner’s name.

Show More
Back to top button

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker